Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Don't Over Bake the Tart Shells!

All right! So here's a little post about how to make your own tart shells. Of course if you're lazy you can simply buy Athens pre-made shells. I've never used them, but I'd imagine that they're pretty good, since their filo dough sheets are the best I've used. Anyway . . . I wanted to make some tart shells for a future experiment. I made six tarts using six sheets of filo. I did one layer of three sheets of in each cup (do you call the divots in the muffin tin a cup?!) and then at right angles I did the second three layers so that there were more pointy bits around the edges.



I popped them in a preheated 350F oven for fifteen minutes . . . or so I thought!

However, I sat down to play a game of Bananagrams (which I totally love and of course got absorbed in the game) forgetting all about the tart shells for at least twenty-five minutes! Oops!!



Needless to say they were a bit extra brown, crispy and puffy. On the plus side, they didn't taste burnt at all and were perfectly edible, if slightly sunburnt looking! So, lesson learned . . . no Bananagrams while things are in the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment