Thursday, November 1, 2012

Spanakopita (Part I)


Ok, so this isn't my end all, be all recipe for spanakopita . . . it was actually quite tasty, but I think I can do better, especially since some of the experimentation was based on what was in the cupboards! I'd say it feeds 4-6 people (should you decide to make it).

Here's what you'll need.

  • 1 Onion (medium-large-ish)
  • 1 Package of spinach (10oz frozen and chopped)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 4 Tbsp Greek yogurt
  • 4 Tbsp grated parmesan 
  • 4 oz Feta
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Dry dill
  • Nutmeg
  • Fresh basil (small handful, chopped)
  • Olive oil

First I chopped and sauteed the onion in some olive oil over a medium heat.



While the onion was sauteing, in a separate bowl, I whisked the eggs adding the yogurt, salt and pepper (to taste). The spinach should be thawed and drained of most of its liquid (you can rush this process in the microwave if necessary). After the onions became translucent I add the spinach, dill and nutmeg to the pan and cooked for a few more minutes to remove more of the moisture from the spinach (you what the mixture quite dry).



I set the spinach mixture aside to cool. Next I prepared the filo. I alternated brushing with butter and olive oil to make it a bit healthier and was quite happy with how it tasted.

Second? Third? I don't know what step I'm on, but anyway . . . after the filo was ready (10 layers or more) I decided I would try to roll the filling in the filo like a large strudel (oh yeah, first . . . when the spinach was cool, I added it to the bowl with the eggs/yogurt mixture and mixed in the two cheeses and basil!).



This "strudel" construction seemed like a good idea . . . however, there was a bit too much filling, so I turned it over and put the open side down in a small casserole dish. I brushed the top with olive oil and sprinkled it with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt.



I baked it at 350F, but I think it would be better at a slightly higher temperature. As my Dad would say when he's being facetious, "it was edible!"


No comments:

Post a Comment