Friday, October 5, 2012

Apple Strudel with Calvados & Cranberries

So I decided that if I didn't share any of my recipes that would be kinda mean. Since I'm pretty happy with how this recipe turned out (and I took loads of pictures) I'm going to share it with you! Ok-ok, so the recipe needs some tweaking. . . my proportions definitely aren't right, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. . . I ended up with enough extra apple filling that I made a two-person crumble! Bonus!



I adapted my recipe from Paula Deen's Strudel Recipe and since I didn't try her's first I can't give you a comparison, but my guinea pigs  tasters didn't complain so I guess my recipe is a keeper (proportional problems aside)! So here's what you'll need for the un-tweaked version.


  • 1/4 cup Calvados (or apple brandy)
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 2 Granny Smith apples (or Cox, Bramley, or other tart baking apple)
  • 1 Fuji apple (or Braeburn, Pink Lady, or other sweet eating apple)
  • Zest from one lemon
  • Juice from one lemon (divide juice in half)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/8 (or dash) of cloves
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp of salted butter, melted (reserve rest of the stick for brushing the filo)
  • 7 sheets of filo dough
  • 1 Tbsp caster sugar (for sprinkling on top)

Start by putting the cranberries and Calvados in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 30-45 seconds. The cranberries should soak up all the liquid. Set them aside and start on the apples.

Core, peel and thinly slice the apples. If you have a mandolin slicer this will cut your prep time significantly, if not, slice the apples as thin as possible. The slices of apple should be floppy, not stiff, when you hold one end of the piece. Then in a mixing bowl add all the ingredients in order listed above, ending with the melted butter and the cranberry mixture. Be sure to keep half of the lemon juice aside for the glaze to be added after baking.



Set the filling aside while you prepare your filo. Melt the remaining part of the stick of butter for brushing on the filo dough. I used 7 sheets of filo, but I think it could have used one or two more. I like to keep my filo covered with a piece of cling film and a damp tea towel on top. This keeps the filo from becoming dry and brittle (especially in drier climates). The cling film is a must, as moisture fuses the sheet together. Take one sheet at a time, brush it with butter. Then add a new sheet on top and repeat until all the sheets are used.

Now the tricky bit, rolling your strudel! See the pictures below to help guide you through. 

First, put the filling in a row in the middle leaving approximately two inches of filo on the ends and three on each side. Fold the ends in first to seal in the juices.

Second, fold over the sides making sure they overlap.

Third, carefully flip the strudel "burrito" over, brush with butter, sprinkle with caster (white) sugar and gently score the top. Then shove it in a 350F oven for half an hour or 'til golden brown.

While the strudel is in the oven you can make a glaze to drizzle on top. For the glaze use

  • Juice from half a lemon (the remaining half from above)
  • 1 cup powdered sugar (slightly more or less depending on the amount of juice)
  • 1 tsp Cavados

Mix all the ingredients until smooth and set aside until the strudel is out of the oven and has cooled a bit.


(Hopefully yours won't leak as much as mine did!) 

After the strudel has cooled a bit, drizzle on the glaze ( and display it on a fancy silver tray that is, of course, just sitting in your cupboard waiting to be used.)


Finally, EAT!!
 It goes nicely with whip cream, ice cream, custard, vanilla sauce or just on its own with a mug of coffee!



No comments:

Post a Comment