Friday, October 12, 2012

Low-fat Lemon Tarts

Yep! You heard me, low fat!! These little lemon tarts were made with fat free yogurt and not too much sugar. I modified a recipe I found on the side of the yogurt carton for ginger tarts, since lemons were on hand and ginger was not, lemon tarts it was!



I took half a cup of sugar and whisked it with one egg, plus one egg yolk, until it was thick . . . next time I may use the electric mixer . . .

In a separate bowl I combined three tablespoons of lemon juice, one cup of vanilla nonfat yogurt and one teaspoon of vanilla. Then I added this yogurt mixture to the eggs and sugar. Once those mixtures were combined I sifted in a third of a cup of flour (I might try reducing this to a fourth of a cup).



I used six sheets of filo. I buttered three sheets and cut them into sixths and did the same again so that I could have more pointy bits around the edges of the tart, but if you're not that fussed you could just butter six sheets together. Putting the filo dough butter side down in a muffin tin, I then brushed the pointy bits with butter too. The recipe made six tarts that each held about half a cup of the mixture. Into the oven at 350F, for what I think was twenty minutes!? . . . and voila! Low-fat Lemon Tarts!




They were very nice warm. Once they were cool I served them with a bit of sour cream (or creme fraiche) and lemon curd mixed together, topped with raspberries (or blueberries would be good too)! The toppings filled in the little divot that appeared after the tarts had cooled and deflated a bit. Surprisingly, I preferred them warm . . . I was sure I would prefer them cool . . .



The recipe is there for you to follow, I just haven't put it into recipe form yet . . . happy to oblige should anyone want the recipe!

1 comment: