Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Chestnut Season

Autumn arrived this week. It wasn't messing around. From 78F to 48F (and lower) in the space of a couple days! This crisp autumnal weather made me think of warm spices, chestnuts falling from the trees and of course, a new dessert!



For this recipe I took roasted chestnuts, golden raisins (or sultanas) and dates. I added a bit of honey, spices - cardamom, cloves and allspice (mmmmm!) and a splash of apple brandy.




After rolling the filling into buttery filo, I sprinkled the top of each fat little cigarillo with spiced sugar and baked them until they were a lovely golden brown.




Served warm with a cup of coffee, they hit the spot for my spicy dessert craving! As always, I'm happy to share the recipe if you drop me a line.

6 comments:

  1. I'm jealous that you get to be the Guinea Pig Kathleen! Heidi these look amazing, I'd happily make the coffee to go with! (Holly, but on Schuan's account, too tired to sign in and out, just home from Symphony Rehearsal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Holly! Next time I'm up in the NW I'll make sure you have a chance to be a guinea pig!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you made this recipe yourself? Crazy! Fall is definitely my favorite season, but I love them all!

    ReplyDelete