Monday, October 1, 2012

The Original

The original would actually be spanakopita, as this was the first thing I made with filo dough. However, since I haven't perfected my own take on spanakopita (yet!) the real original filo experimentation would be the pear and caramelized onion cheesy puffs. Obviously I have not come up with a good name for them yet! (Name suggestions welcome!)

I first created these little puffs for my annual holiday party in Los Angeles. Every year I would go a little nuts, trying out new nibbles for this annual event (earning me the nickname Martha Stewart on Crack!) One year I had some left over sheets of filo dough and wanted to make something with a wintry flavor. So I caramelized some red onion, added it to a small piece of firm ripe pear and hard Italian cheese (such as romano) and wrapped them all together in filo.

The sweetness of the pear and onion is nicely balanced with the saltiness of the melted cheese and butteriness of the pastry. This recipe really came into it's own when I recently made it for my first (and hopefully not last!) dinner party, or rather THE Dinner Party in Hollywood.  I made a simple arugula salad to pair with the puffs and I think they worked together quite well.


 The fillings. 
Caramelized red onion, ripe pear and romano cheese.


 How to fold the butter brushed filo into square parcels, or puffs.


The finished puffs, served with arugula salad.


As a starter I would always server them with the salad. If you're having a cocktail party then the puffs would work best on their own as finger food. I'm not including my recipe here on the blog, as I'm hoping that one day I may put together a recipe book. However, if you'd like to make these at home just drop me a line and I'll be happy to share it with you individually!

3 comments:

  1. Leave it to YOU to come up with this most creatively delicious endeavor, Heidi! How fun it will be to follow your blog and salivate over your fabulous flake-fulnesses! Sending love! xoKandice & Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thanks! Should have my strudel post up soon! xx

    ReplyDelete